A key program strategy is to enrich students' and teachers' learning experiences by exposing them to outstanding local cultural resources. Each year the O'Donnell Foundation, in partnership with the Dallas Opera, sponsors Night at the Opera at the Margot and Bill Winspear Opera House. The Create Schools for Excellence in Fine Arts Education program provides every AP Music Theory grant teacher with a resource to take their students on a field trip each year. Teachers can choose to attend a symphony performance at the Meyerson Symphony Center or an opera at the Winspear Opera House. In preparation for a final dress rehearsal, participating grant teachers research and present educational materials the week prior to the event. Field trips to musical cultural events provide students with opportunities to see and hear historically significant literature performed first hand. Students will also exercise the important critical skills of analyzing and evaluating musical scores and performances.
Cultural Enrichment Grant Applications (FOR GRANT PARTICIPANTS ONLY). Additional information and downloads are available for grant participants on the AP Strategies Music Theory wiki.
2011-2012 Night at the Opera
During the 2011-2012 season grant schools are invited to attend five final dress rehearsals.
- Donizetti's Luci di Lammermoor, Wednesday, October 19, 2011
- Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, Saturday, February 11, 2012
- Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, Monday, February 13, 2012
- Verdi's La traviata, Wednesday, April 11, 2012
- Mozart's Magic Flute, Tuesday, April 17, 2012
2010-2011 Night at the Opera
During the 2010-2011 season grant schools were invited to attend four final dress rehearsals.
- Mozart's Don Giovanni, Tuesday, October 19, 2010
- Donizetti's Anna Bolena, Tuesday, October 26, 2010
- Gounod's Romeo and Juliet, Wednesday, February 9, 2011
- Verdi's Rigoletto, Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Lake Highlands High School AP Music Theory
students at Mozart's Don Giovanni
= Offsite Web Page. Not responsible for content.